The Iceman's Game Journal

After seeing Tim's Game Diary, I started this blog to give me some incentive to actually finish some of the 461+ video games I have (of which I have finished 41.) Hope it works.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Mommy! Miyamoto Isn't Sharing His Weed!

For most people, this would be late. For me, it's right on schedule. I just found out that Nintendo changed the name of the Revolution to Wii (pronounced Wee)

I tried to figure out some way to use that in the title of this post. I really did, but in the end I couldn't think of anything. All I could think of was what Miyamoto was smoking when he came up with it.

What I don't get is why they went from a cool name, the Revolution, to a dumb name, Wii. I am sure I am not alone when I say that I will continue to refer to it as the Revolution, because it makes sense. Not only will it have the cool new controller, you'll be able to play old Nintendo, Genesis, and Turbo-Graphix 16 games. In other words, all three sides in the 16 bit war will be represented on 1 console! If Revolution doesn't fit, I don't know what does!

But no, we are stuck with Wii. There have been some good jokes though. Here is what Real Life Comics had to say. (I was going to post Penny Arcade's reaction, but I want this to be a family friendly blog.)



Gamespy weighed in on this subject too, and they made some good points. The timing had to be part of a plan to increase exposure going into E3. This, combined with the fact that we will finaly see the Revolution in acction and people can finally get their hands on the controller means this could be the biggest E3 yet for Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony are going to have to pull off something big to top this

Li Kuo, news editor for Gamespy had this to say.
"Nintendo takes more chances than anyone else out there when it comes to thinking outside of the box, and sometimes they get a little carried away (Virtual Boy, anyone? ...Besides, if anyone can get away with calling their console "Wii," it's Nintendo. After all, they're the ones that made little green dinosaurs and fat Italian plumbers cool. "


In the end though, it won't mater. I think Will Tuttle, Console Editor for Gamespy said it best.
"Of course, they could name the console The Awesome FartHammer and I'd still be pushing people out of my way at Best Buy just to sip some of that delicious Nintendo Kool-Aid. We've all been doing it for years, so why stop now?"


Oh yes, we will drink the kool-aid, and it will be good (and black cheery flavored.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home